[Svnmerge] svnmerge.py init crashes (on bad characters in svn xml log)

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 7 09:45:05 PDT 2009

> <Jean-Philippe.Daigle at solacesystems.com> wrote:
> No, I just upgraded to 1.6.5.x yesterday before posting this, and I'm
> getting the same error, so it's actually printing the 0x93 / 0x94 characters
> in the XML.

It certainly seems like it might be a bug in svn. FYI, in UTF-8, those
characters should be three bytes each: 0xe2809c and 0xe2809d.

http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?ucode=201c
http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?ucode=201d

If you can reproduce this in a simple test case, I'm sure it would be
useful for the svn devs.

For your immediate purposes however, why not just "fix" the log
message using:

svn propset svn:log --revprop -r REV ...

(make sure to configure your repo to accept that change using the
pre-revprop-change hook: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/re23.html)

Cheers,
Raman