[ocaml-biz] Some logo for your OCaml relatedwebsites

Martin Jambon martin_jambon
Tue Aug 24 05:52:39 PDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Brian Hurt wrote:
> >
> > In the interest of brainstorming, why does it have to be an
> > animal?  The
> > CAM in Ocaml came from the Catagorical Abstract Machine.  Consider
> > machine shapes- especially cogs and cams.
>
> I am thinking of an enormously baroque capital letter 'O' with many
> gears, cogs, and flywheels inside of it.  All of course moving in
> perfect safety according to their exceedingly variant types.  ;-)  I
> think all of my logo brainstorms start out as Absurdly French.  Maybe
> sometime I'll show off my foofy Python snakes logo, so you can get an
> idea what I mean.

Let's create a logo that suggests movement.

I would avoid Greek letters and other mathematical symbols (see
http://www.haskell.org).

I imagine a white, infinite room (like in the Matrix movies or some ads
for the Gap clothes in 1999/2000 in France - I don't know about other
countries). You have an infinite space and you create everything you
can imagine just with OCaml. OCaml is enough to give life to any idea.
Basically, we forget the presence of a computer (the infinite white space
is already inside of it). No bytes (or "ones and zeros"), no keyboard, no
screen, no wires, no electricity, no explicit source of light, no shadows,
no bugs, no mosquitoes (except if you create them on purpose), no viruses.
Anything you decide to create is immediately visible in the white room and
matches perfectly your imagination.

More ideas maybe later...

Martin